Pages

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Sense of Entitlement?

Where does it come from?  Who instills a sense of entitlement into a person?  Is it the parents? For people of my generation, I don't think so, they got it someplace else.  I know there are exceptions to the rule, I am discounting those.  I am speaking about the people who think they re entitled to anything and everything for no apparent reason.  A parking spot for example.

I was driving down a lane and saw no open spots, so was about to continue into the next lane.  I saw reverse lights come on for a car in the first spot past the handicapped spaces. So, I stopped put on my signal and waited. I was too close to the lane of cars, so I would have to swing out in the lane a little to turn into the spot safely but did not move to avoid confusing the driver of the car that was leaving.  While the car was backing out, another car came into the lane and also put on a signal for the spot. I saw this, but I was in favor because the car leaving blocked the other person for a moment longer than I.  As I swung out into the lane to make the turn safely, my signal shut off from turning the wheel the other direction, this is when the leaving car cleared a view for the newcomer.  So, she waited for me to get out of the parked car and said, sarcastically, "Thanks for stealing my spot."  I told her that I had been waiting for it before she was and she responded that she didn't see my signal.  I apologized to her and went on my way as she shook her head in what appeared to be disgust...

She appeared to be a little younger than I was and had a child in the back seat.  I was in a hurry and in a little pain because I chose to walk home from school yesterday and my knee was acting up.  I thought I was lucky to be able to get a closer spot, but would not have complained if I had had to walk from farther out in the parking lot.  In my perception, it seems this woman thought she had more right to the spot than me because I appeared to be a healthy person taking away a spot that she should have been entitled to because she had a child to carry with her (and was female?)...  Maybe I read more into it than I should have, but I get the same feeling in numerous situations of similar circumstance.

I will usually try to leave "the easiest route or method" for others because I consider myself capable "to endure a hardship"...  So, I guess it makes me feel worse when I do not try to do "the right thing" and get called out for it...  I felt bad about it after the fact because I do not know her circumstances and maybe it would have been a great hardship for her to have to walk from a farther spot...

So, should I always try to cater to other peoples "entitlement" or take what I get when I can and feel bad about it later?  I guess I will not change much and still take the harder road most of the time because it is not harder for me...

Have a nice day  :)
-Joe

No comments:

Post a Comment